Monday, June 6, 2011

Edge Effects

BURNED BORDER
In Photoshop, I added the border by copying the layer and selecting the 'multiply' blending mode. Then I selected an area inside the frame with the rectangle marquee, then deleted the middle. I added a white stroke on the background layer while I still had my selection, then added text.
Bear Lake Branch; 6/3/11, 10:18 am; Garden City, Utah; f/5.6; 1/1250 sec; Nikon D3100; Increased saturation and contrast in Camera Raw.

DOUBLE FADE BORDER
To add this border, first I increased the canvas size by one inch on both sides and filled it with white. I used the rectangle tool and selected an area inside the border, while making sure the 'shape layer' is highlighted at the top. Then I added a mask to the shape layer, changed 'shape layer' to 'fill pixels', and drew a rectangle inside the other one. I changed the opacity to 60%, then while I was still selected on the inside rectangle, I put a motion blur on the edge at angles 0 and 90 at 45 px distance each.

Wishing Flower; 6/3/11, 11:01 am; Garden City, Utah; f/5.6; 1/2500 sec; Nikon D3100; increased saturation and contrast in Camera Raw.

FLEXIBLE BRUSHED-ON EFFECT
First, I added a new layer and filled it with white. Then I unlocked the image layer and moved it to the top. I added a black mask by holding alt as I selected the layer mask icon. Using 'thick, heavy brushes' from the brushes palette, I used brushes #3, #2, and #5 to paint back the image, changing the opacity as I went. It took me a while to get it to look the way I wanted, since I used the mask, it was easy to paint back the white with the mask.

Lydia Jane; 5/31/11, 4:16 pm; Rexburg, Idaho; f/5.6; 1/100 sec; Nikon D3100; In Camera Raw I brightened her face with an adjustment brush, and darkened the background. I also increased the saturation and blacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment